What is Google Apps for Education?
Kenston Local Schools are using Google Apps for Education for all students and staff. Each user has access to all tools within the Google Apps Domain, with the exception of Google+ for student accounts due to age restrictions set by Google.
All users have full access to Google Drive, Email, Calendar, Sites, Talk, etc. All web traffic accessed on school property is appropriately filtered according to current CIPA compliance requirements.
With Google Apps for Education, Google’s Services are guaranteed to be available at least 99.9% of the time, ensuring that users have access when they need it. The Google Apps team is committed to providing our school with the best level of service.
Two of the most common questions regarding Google in general, and Google Apps specifically, are security and privacy. Google takes both topics very seriously and we truly believe that their offerings are a great option for our students and staff.
Regarding Google’s Security Policies, please review the additional FAQ page regarding Security and Privacy where you can find more information.
Furthermore, please see the Top 10 Reasons to Use Google Apps for Education.
What is Opt Out of Google Apps for Education?
By choosing to Opt Out, you are selecting to not allow your student access to some or all of the services listed above, and thereby, may make it difficult for them to accomplish certain assignments during school hours, or in connection with school work.
Opt Out Levels
There are two levels of Opting Out. You will be asked to pick one below.
No Email, but access to Google Drive
- Student will not have access to email as provided by Kenston Local Schools.
- Communication within the Google Apps Domain will be severely limited, as email is the main communication mode for most services. Communication from student collaborators, teachers and administrators will be severely limited.
- Student will continue to have access to Google Drive, which will allow them to work on word processing projects, presentations, spreadsheets, etc.
- Student will continue to be able to share documents with others, and work collaboratively, but peer-editing using comments, etc. will be severely limited.
Total Opt Out
- The student’s Google Apps for Education account will be suspended indefinitely, with an option to reactivate.
- Student will have no access to email, Google Drive files, etc within 72 hours of the Opt Out request being submitted.
- Please plan accordingly to remove / download files currently stored in the account.